Can you believe it’s already February and I haven’t even started my highs and lows posts for the year? Me neither. Today I’ve been doing some long-awaited life admin and thought there was no better way to end it than with this post. I’ve been taking life a lot slower since returning to Auckland, which means I’ve had a lot more time to watch, read and do as well as work. It’s honestly been so refreshing, and so necessary. This year I want to focus hard on creating good work and social life balance. It got so out of hand by the end of the last that I just had to pause everything. But I’m back, and so happy to be.
- This was technically last weekend, but I’m going to throw it in. I went camping with my friends up north at Maitai Bay which was beautiful. Such a great weekend trip if you’re from Auckland. Sandy beaches, crystal blue waters sans the city crowds.
- On that note, Taupo Bay was my favourite spot around there. I’d watch the sunrise at Maitai Bay, sunbathe at Taupo Bay and swim at Karikari Beach.
- How small New Zealand is. I ran into one of my friends from school at the Pal’s party here which was such a good night out. It’s both comforting and a little worrying, lol.
- I hadn’t been back to Piha beach since I lived in Auckland over four years ago. Yesterday I caught up with friends there, had a couple of beers on the beach, swam and had the most humble Kiwi afternoon. Definitely going to try get back there as much as possible before summer is over.
- Speaking of Piha, I just binged The Wilds which was shot around that area. It’s a drama set around a group of girls that end up stranded on an island. It’s fully of crazy twists and an almost frustrating cliff hanger, but interesting nonetheless.
- I finished Ghosts by Dolly Alderton the other day after a recommendation from a friend. If you’re single in your late twenties I think it nails so many points about this weird stage of life. Dating, ghosting, going to weddings single, dissapearing friends, family struggles: it has it all.
- The darkly funny article All the Time I Wasted Trying to Please Indifferent Men By Brandon Taylor on The Cut.
- Roll Red Roll on Netflix is a documentary about a rape that happened at an American high school football party and aftermath – including the incident being exposed publically on twitter and facebook. It’s a heavy watch and pretty crazy how divided the city got in response to this story coming out.
- I got to try out the Oribe Dry Texturizing Spray and wow, it’s a game changer. I’m a huge dry shampoo fan and this is next level for hair styling.
- My face (seriously, FACE!?) is covered in mozzy bites. What a way to return to Auckland.
- I have nothing really to look forward to and it’s making this year seem blah. Without travel the coming months look very vanilla.
- Can I just work four days a week instead?
- When your past comes back to haunt you. Cool cool cool…
- The second worst migraine I’ve ever had. WTF.