I’m not going to lie, I haven’t had much to report recently. We’re in week 11 of lockdown here in New Zealand (I think?), and the days all seem to blend together. In a way, every day feels like a Friday and a Monday at the same time. In fear of losing the plot completely, this week I’ve instated a bit of structure. A bit of exercise, some mental stimulation and indulging in taking nights off from cooking (hello, Ubereats). It’s a weird time to navigate, and I’ve leaned into giving myself a break.
Sidenote: isn’t it strange that we will have all made it through this period with a different story to tell? No matter where we are in the world. That’s something that rivals a hectic travel story and is probably as close as we can get to it right now. It’s definitely going to be a story to tell the kids, that’s for sure.
- I’m a crime podcast junkie. You know this, I know this. Lately, though, I haven’t been able to get into any. So still on brand, but less intense, I’ve been listening to the Fallen Angel and The Dropout podcasts. Fallen Angel covers the rise and fall of Victoria’s Secret. The second, the story of Elizabeth Holmes. Both are easy to listen to while you’re working from home.
- So I brought Amazon Prime at the start of lockdown to watch Love Island UK (just like everyone else), but lately, I’ve been binging programs on there like crazy. Modern Love is a must-watch if you love a good romance. It’s based on stories featured in The New York Times weekly column of the same name. Very realistic and very sweet.
- I also loved the movie Promising Young Woman. It’s angering, it’s simultaneously promising and disappointing, and it’s an important movie in the Me Too era. Also, very on-brand considering my podcast choices.
- My skin has been going through a “dry period”. Let’s be honest – my whole body is dehydrated. Because of this, I ran out of my Drunk Elephant Lala Retro Whipped Cream (which I LOVE) in record time. Luckily, I rediscovered the Tarte Baba Bomb Moisturiser, which I think I might even like better. Both are great though, and I highly recommend either for parched skin like mine.
- Unnecessary purchases of the week? I’ve got you covered. I recently bought this ‘shacket’ from ASOS, which honestly makes no sense. It’s spring, and I’m buying wool coats. I still stand by my choice. Also, these hoops which are very similar to the thousand dollar ones Hailey Bieber loves.
- If you’re having trouble sleeping as I have been, the Clinicians REM Sleep tablets are the best herbal sleeping tablets I’ve found. Highly recommend, for peace of mind anyway.
- Music: Friends That Break Your Heart by James Blake, Figured Out (Johnny Reebok Remix), Ghost by Ryan Caraveo, Phone Off by Corio, Warmth by Ford & Sophie Meiers
- I’ve been lost on Tiktok for days. Someone send help.
- There’s definitely been a lot of ups and downs of this period. Stress can be overwhelming, accentuated and exacerbated by lack of sleep. What I would give to have a normal sleeping pattern right now.
- Why is it so hard to find good new music? Lana Del Rey, an old faithful, really didn’t come through with her latest album.
- I think lockdown is really just a lot of time spent googling shows to watch and never actually watching any of them.
- I’m ready to skip to the good part.