Happy Easter Sunday everyone! A week or so ago I asked you to send me any questions or blog post suggestions to my Tumblr ask box and you guys delivered – I received over 50 messages just in the first day. Don’t worry, I narrowed it down to 35 for you! I’m going to try to do a Q&A every month so if your question wasn’t answered, feel free to shoot me a message anytime. Also, thanks for all your blog post suggestions – I didn’t include them in here because the post was already so long but I’ll definitely be doing them. Anyway, let’s get into the Q&A because it’s going to be a long one!
Questions and Answers
- Have you had any fangirl moments when someone you look up to has liked you pic or followed you? or reposted one of you pics?
It’s always a bit of a fangirl moment when a big brand reposts my image – I think when ASOS did that was one that comes to mind.
- Do you find using hashtags have helped your Instagram grow? have you seen a difference since using them?
I definitely think it helps with engagement but it’s pretty hit or miss. I think it’s worth experimenting with but I don’t think it’s ever going to gain you heaps of followers so it’s not something to stress about.
- How many photos do you take on average a day?
It totally depends! The past three days I’ve taken maybe one a day, but if it’s a shooting day I can easily take 100 haha. So far, none today.
- What did you study at uni? does it help with what you do now as a blogger or do you think you would be in the same place now without it?
I started to study Design and then ended up finishing a Bachelor of Communication instead. I think it has and it hasn’t. To be honest I chose really random papers such as Hollywood Cinema and Crisis Communication while I was studying. You could definitely choose better papers that align with blogging than what I did. I honestly don’t think it’s helped me with blogging much besides from improving my writing skills. I did find my degree really interesting though!
- Do you have a blogger management or do you do everything yourself? also do you contact brands or collabs or do you just let them contact you?
Nope, I do it all myself! It’s a bit of both – If I find someone I want to work with I’ll definitely reach out but mostly I get contacted by them. I work with a lot of PR agencies now which ends in a lot of ongoing work.
- Not a question but had been tossing up for soooo long about the pared x bec and bridge sunglasses for ages (after I saw some similar celine ones in the same colour way you have) then I saw your pics and you definitely convinced me I need them even though I already have too many sunglasses haha
Get them! I totally have too many sunglasses and I did, haha. They’re super cool though and way cheaper than the Celine ones.
- Coat/jacket suggestions would be much appreciated thanx
Here you go my friend, shop ’til your hearts content:
- Doing freelance and blog work how do you maintain structure and keep motivated to make sure you get everything done?
I just kind of work constantly. I’m actually really bad at structuring my day without having something (such as a job) to force me to. At the moment lists are my best friend – I have them everywhere! As for motivation, I just feel like as long as you’re passionate about something you’ll find the motivation to do it. So, make sure it’s something you really want to be doing rather than feel like you have to. I couldn’t have blogged for the past (almost) 9 years if I didn’t enjoy it.
- What device do you use more when taking photos? Phone camera or DSLR or something else? Or does your preference change depending on whether it is a blog post or an instagram post or for any other reason?
I use my DSLR for my blog stuff, except my Highs & Lows posts. For Instagram it’s a bit of a mix – it just depends on the moment and what I have handy.
- Hello, I’m planning a trip soon and as you seem to be a seasoned traveller, could you tell me what you pack for a day out and about in a different city/country? Also, could you do a what’s in my bag more generally (in a video please)?
For your bag pack WATER and FOOD (I’ve had way too many hangry moments while travelling), sunscreen, sunglasses, chap stick, power bank and money of course. A bottle opener always comes in handy too. You need to be prepared for walking 6 hours without buying anything because trust me, it’s easy to get distracted or want to see as much as possible without stopping. And yes I can definitely film one of those!
- Really like your tumblr but what tumblrs are your favourite?
Thank you! A couple of my recent faves are fashiion-gone-rouge and sleepyfilm, but just check out who I reblog to find other good ones.
- Love your style, what are your fav online shops
There are SO many – ASOS, The Iconic, Revolve, Topshop, Zara, Urban Outfitters and Reformation off the top of my head.
- Do you ever get nervous taking blog photos out in public x
I just try not to take photos in areas that are busy if I’m taking them of myself to avoid awkward conversation, because I swear everyone wants to talk to you when you’re doing that. Otherwise, I really don’t care if my friends are there with me because I’m so used to it now. Do your thing girl!
- Do you often met people who read your blog in real life
Sometimes I do. It’s usually when people are drinking that they’ll come up and talk to me about it, haha.
- Any plans to move somewhere else soon? love your instagram xx
Yes! I’m throwing up between Auckland, Melbourne and Sydney but I can’t decide. And thanks lovely!
- Do you have any favourite YouTubers? If so, who?
It changes all the time depending on my mood but I’ve recently been loving Allegra Shaw, Allana Davison, Refinery29 Sweet Digs series and Tar Mar.
- I watched Shameless after you mentioned it in one of your highs and lows posts and absolutely loved it! Any more Netflix suggestions???
How good is Shameless though!? I have so many that I might put together a dedicated post for it, but some shows I love off the top of my head are: Blacklist, Atypical, Shooter and I just binge watched Queer Eye – so great!
- Any designer pieces you have your eye on?
Yes, all of these!
- Where do you get inspo from in particular for your blog posts and photography? P.S Do you have any photography book recommendations please? 🙂
Honestly it comes from anywhere. I really love Tumblr for photography inspiration as it’s a lot of varied content rather than colour curated like Instagram. Photography books: Mansur Gavriel LA Flower Market and Purienne Holiday are at the top of my wish-list.
- Do you ever find it hard to stay motivated in regards to blogging/posting content etc. and if so, how do you stay motivated and keep yourself on track?
YES! Especially lately I’ve really gotten into a “funk” multiple times and it makes me not want to create content. I basically just have to switch up what I’m doing or where I’m finding inspiration to keep my mind buzzing. This is actually why I move around a lot too.
- Hey, I’ve just started out blogging in NZ and I’m finding it a bit disheartening when locally the people who seem to get the best collabs and attention seem to be literally be just reality show girls and rugby players girlfriends. Not saying that their stuff isn’t good but for example a blog like yours doesn’t seem to get the attention it deserves. What are your thoughts on this? Hahaha not to sound too salty. Also, noticing people with fake followers getting collabs…What?
Hey! Yeah I totally get what you mean – prepare yourself for a novel answer. In the end you have to choose what you value. For new bloggers I would absolutely recommend to just focus on finding your niche and making the best quality content possible – the collaborations will follow. You really don’t need to have a certain number of followers for people to want to work with you.
As for the reality show girls/rugby players that’s just about the brand wanting to get their product in front of people. If you’re wanting to grow as a small blogger you should keep this in mind because it’s going to devalue your brand if you’re accepting any collaboration to make a quick buck while promoting the same product as 20 other people in a very small country. Also, A lot of promo you see will be unpaid even if it is from a luxury brand because that’s the business of PR.
I’ll also note that that’s only because we live in such a small country. Think bigger! I’ve got some of my best collaborations from overseas clients because my content appeals to more than just a New Zealand specific audience. There’s no limit to who you can reach with your platform, so worrying about a brand in New Zealand not choosing you to collaborate with is time wasted.
That’s in terms of Instagram too, which I would 100% recommend not focusing on as your main platform. You have no control over the regulation of it (eg. algorithm) so having a blog gives you that much more control over your content and who sees it. While I like posting and will continue to make content for Instagram, my blog will always be my number one. I think when you mention that my blog doesn’t get the attention it deserves you’re overlooking that fact, because other social medias and my site stats say otherwise.
For example: my Pinterest gets an average of 1.1million monthly viewers, my Tumblr has tens of thousands of followers and my blog still has a steady and engaged audience (I got over 50 messages in one day for this post) but you’d never realise this going by my Instagram. Also, I got my trip to NYC with only 5000 followers so you can totally do well with a small Instagram following.
As for people with fake followers getting collabs: that’s just a brand not doing their homework and wasting their money. If the brand is just after coverage and not going align themselves with genuine people, you definitely don’t want your name associated with theirs.
So basically, I’m just trying to say: stay hopeful! While Instagram is a hard platform to crack and can be disheartening when you don’t grow as quickly as you like – there are other ways to be successful. I think in that way Instagram is severely overrated and people forget that people were successful bloggers before it!
- Who are your favourite photographers and/or artists? x
Right now I love Henrik Purienne, Brydie Mack, Christiane Spansberg and Matisse.
- Who are your favourite nz bloggers?
I don’t actually read a lot of NZ blogs, but I think WeThePeopleStyle would be my all time NZ favourite. There are a heap of smaller blogs to – TheSleekAvenue, Ash Owens, Serendipity Ave are cool too.
- Current trends you are loving (:
Anything kind of vintage inspired is on the top of my list right now – striped satin shirts, earrings that kind of look like my Grandmas clip-ons, beaded bags and exaggerated puff sleeves.
- How do you stay organised?
I’m going to let you in on a secret – I’m really not. But like in a un-organised, organised way? I just write lots of lists and add a lot of reminders on my phone – finding that app was a game changer.
- Do you have any winter boots recommendations its coming up to winter and I’m in need of suggestions please and thank you.
For sure – here’s a collection of boots I’d totally buy for this winter:
- For lightroom and photoshop do you use presents? love your photos
Thank you! Yes I do, and sometimes it’s just me playing around with settings. I never really use the same presets twice and make it up as I go.
- If you could choose one designer bag what would you choose? need some ideas
Ohhh, I’m having this same dilemma. There are so many that would be perfect, but I think I’d go with the Gucci Marmont matelassé mini bag. It’s my fave at the moment for ever day wear. I’ve included all of my favourites below for ideas though.
- Where are your next travel destinations?
I’m planning something for my birthday and at the moment it’s looking like it will be New York – wahoo!
- Autumn/ winter clothing picks x
- Do you have a blog posting schedule I never know when to check your blog, ps love your blog.
Not really, but I always try to post on Sunday night. During the week it can be random but I aim for once or twice then too 🙂 Just keeping you on your toes, haha. And thank you, It honestly means the world to me!
- What kind of outfits would you put together for a night out ?? 🙂
I’m partial to a good dress and heels. Although, loving the suit look at the moment too. These are some pieces that would work for a night out:
- How did you start your blog? LOVE YOU XOXOX
I feel like I’ve answered this a lot so I’ll just quickly say – I started it when I was 15 and bored, haha. Thank you & much love!
- Im just starting to get into photography and was wondering if you have any tips or things that you have learnt that you wish you knew when you started, in particular for your blog photos xxx thanks
Hey, yay for getting into photography! No matter what camera you use: learn how shutter, ISO and aperture works so you can light the photo properly because I struggled with this for ages. Plus, don’t over expose your photos – it’s the easiest way to ruin your image. Spend your money on good lenses vs. camera. Good luck and have fun with it – practice is always the best way to learn!
- What are your go-to outfit faves and /or wardrobe staples?
Ohhh there are so many must haves – vintage wash jeans, white sneakers and leather jacket for sure. If I was choosing my 5 piece wardrobe, this is what I’d buy:
Thanks for all your questions, I love you all!